Capital City: Providence
Population (2019): 1,051,511; Rank: 43 of 50 | Population Quick Facts
Admission to Statehood: May 29, 1790 (13th State)
State Motto: Hope
State Nickname: The Ocean State
Origin of State Name: Possibly named in honor of the Greek Island of Rhodes or was named Roode Eylandt by Adriaen Block, Dutch explorer, because of its red clay
Area Codes: 401
Zip Codes: Rhode Island Zip Codes
Flag: Placed on a white field is a circle of thirteen gold stars representing the first thirteen states. The stars surround a gold ship’s anchor. The state’s motto “Hope” is on a blue ribbon below the anchor.
Get this Flag
- Area: 1,545 sq.mi (4,002 sq.km.), 50th
- Land: 1,045 sq.mi. (2,707 sq.km.), 50th
- Water: 500 sq.mi. (1,295 sq.km.), 41st
- Coastline: 40 mi. (64 km.), 19th
- Shoreline: 384 mi. (618 km.), 20th
Highest Point: Jerimoth Hill ; 812 feet, (247 m.) 46th tallest
Lowest Point: Rhode Island; sea level, tied for 3rd lowest
Geographic Center: Kent, 1 mile southsouthwest of Crompton
- Absolute Center: 41°40.3’N / 71°34.6’W
- Relative Center: Kent, 2.5 miles south southwest of Crompton
- Distance Between U.S. Cities
- Agriculture: Nursery stock, vegetables, dairy products, eggs.
- Industry: Fashion jewelry, fabricated metal products, electric equipment, machinery, shipbuilding and boatbuilding, tourism.
- White Pages:Rhode Island White Pages